Sunday 24 April 2011

Day 10 - New Look and Some Tough Questions!

I'm back!

For this next week, I've decided to change the way I share through this blog. Instead of going through the whole day's menu as I've been doing so far, I will focus more on new recipes and dedicate posts to either answering questions or going a little deeper into discussing paleo friendly topics or the events of my day!

For those of you who really liked the old format, be strong! I will be coming back to that format for at least the whole of the final week (to see how a month's practice may have changed the menu/approach!). I will also do this type of post every once in a while until then just to keep you updated on how the challenge is going!!

Take a deep breath, we are treading new ground!

Today's post will be short but not without meaning. I got into an interesting conversation with some friends after yoga this morning (I seem to be talking about food a lot these days!). Some of the topics really struck home as I think they raise questions anyone who loves food will at some point confront. Here are the ones that stood out:

- The ethics behind vegetarianism and meat eating - Is there a right and wrong?
- If everyone on the planet ate 'paleo', would it be possible to sustain? (i.e. how do you come up with that much meat?)
- The historical impact of the practice of agriculture, both in human and planetary terms.
- Tradition and how it affects our habits today.

Now if these type of topics and questions normally give you headaches, don't worry, you don't have to answer them!! They won't be in the final exam! If I may share, one thing this challenge has imparted on me so far is that becoming conscious of what you eat and learning how it affects your body and health is an empowering experience. I'll say that again. *James Earl Jones voice* It gives you power! Let's face it, as much as it would be cool, we just aren't going to get 'spider-man' or 'superman' level power in this lifetime, but this type of power, as my friend Travis would put it, it's not too shabby! It is amazing and liberating to consider food items and make conscious choices about why YOU are eating them. Whether you are vegetarian, meat eating, vegan or whatever type of robot Stephen Harper is, you will get a kick out of this kind of power.

That is a Paleo Pete Promise!!

See you next time!



2 comments:

  1. I would question the same point about vegetarianism. Is it sustainable without fuel and what is the effect on the environment?

    All the grains cultivated and promoted by the vegetarian way of eating is only possible at a high cost:
    - Mono culture crop
    - Destruction of the forest for the field
    - Redirection of river to sustain irrigation
    - Destruction of eco-system
    - And massive use of fertilizer (fuel) to try to maintain the "integrity" and nutriment value of the soils used to cultivate those cereals...

    The environmental and sustainability of the vegan or paleo of eating and ethical treatment of the animal is were our 2 groups should be connecting not trying to prove who's wrong or who's right... that's a moral discussion and nobody win...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look at this topic in a similar light Math. I feel like it's difficult to say one way or another is right or wrong (who really knows what is right or wrong anyway?).
    I would guess that the IDEAL right situation would be one in which human food demands are met in a way that allows for other lifeforms to flourish as well in a natural habit. Looking around us today, it isn't happening that way. I feel like the only way to be really sustainable is to find a way to reverse the trend of overpopulation. In a situation where there are less people on the planet, it becomes a realistic exercise to feed everyone without overtaxing our natural resources.

    ReplyDelete